Monday, June 22, 2009

Six month anniversary

John and I went to Crescent Beach for the weekend of our six month anniversary. We got there late Friday afternoon and went for a walk on the beach. It was really hot but out by the ocean it was nice and breezy. We had a nice time wading in the water and goofing around. For dinner we drove up to St. Augustine and ate then we went and walked around the old fort there. There were lots of cool places around the fort and the walls were not made out of rock but out of what looked like crushed shells in mortar. We went back to the beach that night and took another long walk on the beach. Saturday morning John and I went to the outlet malls in St. Augustine and shopped for several hours. John was surprisingly good natured about shopping for so long and was even willing to shop longer. After shopping we went back to the beach to make a sand castle. We started out making a castle and as we got going John decided that he wanted to make a stadium instead of a castle. We ended up making a replica of Florida field complete with the spiraling walkways, upper decking and tunnel for the players to come out of. Sunday morning we woke up early to see the sun rise over the ocean. We got out there about 20 minutes early and waited for a while. It was very pretty but unfortunately it was too cloudy to see the sun. The weekend was really nice. We didn't have an schedule we had to keep to or any where we had to be. Nice and relaxing - just the way we like it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The crushed shells stuff is called coquina - the Spanish used it to build a ton of structures as it stands up pretty well to the ocean (being calcium-based and all), won't crumble apart if cannons hit it, and was widely available. You can see more of it at Fort Matanzas, which is near Crescent beach too.

Amy Jenks said...

Oh my goodness! I swear I subscribed to your blog ages ago on google reader. (I rarely go to blogs anymore unless I'm leaving a comment.) I was just thinking about you and wondered why you hadn't posted in so long. I went to your blog and see I've missed a TON!!! Bummer. I now have subscribed, though I swear I did...
Congrats on the house! It is so fun being a home owner. You'll love it!
Congrats on 6 months too! I can't believe it's been 6 months.
Miss you tons!