Saturday, October 30, 2010

Camping

Last weekend John and I went camping with my sister Carrie, her husband Brian, and my niece Shayla. We went camping in North GA in between here and Greenville (where Carrie and Brian live). The plan was to meet in the afternoon and camp Friday night then go our separate ways on Saturday. No surprise here - plans changed.

Carrie and I had talked on Thursday morning to finalize plans and were planning on meeting at the camp ground around three. That afternoon I was talking to my mom and she mentioned that Carrie was coming over that night. "Carrie who?" was my response. I was totally confused because there had been no mention of that when I talked to her. Carrie and Brian ended up getting here on Thursday night because they wanted to do a little work on their car Friday before we went camping. Things with the car ended up taking longer than expected so John and I took Shayla with us and went to set up camp. John had a cold and wasn't feeling well so I got to drive. We realized when we were already on our way that we didn't have the address to the campground to program into our GPS so we had a super fun time trying to find the place with the directions from their website... their directions should definitely be rewritten! We had a really nice campsite on the lake. The grounds were really nice and the bathrooms were even clean! When we got there it was my job to occupy Shayla and collect firewood while John was trying to pitch the tent. Periodically we would wonder over to check things out and when I would get near where the tent was I thought it smelled like gas. We got our fire started and our tinfoil dinners cooking while Carrie and Brian were on their way there. That night we did the normal camping things... fire...dutchoven... tinfoil dinner...smores...ghost stories (okay no ghost stories). Oh and we also burned an entire trashbag full of documents Carrie brought so that they didn't have to shred them all. The next morning the guys were in charge of breakfast while us ladies huddled around the fire. The temps had gotten down into the 40s. Not too bad but cold enough that the fire felt very nice. They made us pancakes, bacon, and potatoes. After that we broke camp and that is when we realized that John who could not smell because of his cold had set up our tent on what must have been a gas leak from an RV that was there before us. We had to air out the tent for a few days when we got home to get the smell out... that is a whole other story that I am not going to get into... let's just say it rained unexpectedly while it was airing out... more like poured.

Pancake Face. While everyone was breaking camp, I took Shayla to the playground to occupy her. She was very funny and tried to use the little bridge as a slide and was pretty disappointed when it didn't work like a normal slide. This was after she had already been down the real slide. What can I say - kids are weird.

No comments: